Ten ways to teach your preschoolers about dirt and the earth
1. Go on a nature hike and identify non-living things, living things and signs of life (ex: dirt, ants and an ant hill or water, leaves and broken twig, etc.)
2. Get a bag of topsoil and bury items in it
3. Find rocks… paint rocks
4. Do a soil analysis. Find out how much sand, pebbles, clay, silt and soil is in your “dirt”.
5. Bury food for a week in your yard. Dig it up and see what happened to it
6. Sculpt a cup or box out of clay
7. Make chocolate dirt pudding. Have fun burying candy bugs into the dirt.
8. Draw a design on paper with glue then pour sand over it to make “dirty art”
9. Pick-up garbage in a park, along a quiet street or on a trail
10. Make a terrarium (mini-world in a bottle). Have fun learning about and experiencing our earth!