Easy Homemade Finger Paint Recipes
Activity: Face Paint #2
1 Tbs. Crisco shortening
2 Tbs. cornstarch
Mix all ingredients together until smooth. Use sponge or fingers to apply to face. Wash with soap and water.
Activity: Puffy Paint
Wilton’s Cake Food Coloring
old squeeze bottles such as the bear bottles honey comes in or disinfected mustard squeeze bottles
1. measure out equal parts of flour, salt, and water
2. add the food coloring to the water
3. mix all three ingredients together
4. pour into squeeze bottles
5. have the children squeeze the mixture out onto heavy paper plates or cardboard. When the “puffy paint” dries, it is raised and sparkles!
Activity: Corn Syrup Paint
HEAVY DUTY paper plates
disposable plastic cups
old paint brushes
1. pour the corn syrup into the disposable plastic cups
2. add food coloring to the corn syrup, stirring until mixed thoroughly (make as many colors as you like)
3. place the old paint brushes into the corn syrup paint
4. have the children paint on the paper plates with the corn syrup paint any way they like
When the corn syrup dries, it makes a beautiful translucent design. This is a very messy but fun activity.
Activity: Homemade Washable Paint
Liquid Tempera Paint
Ivory Snow or Dreft Liquid Detergent
1. mix 3/4 cups of paint to 1/4 cup liquid detergent
2. stir well
This mixture works just as good as the commercial washable paint and is more economical. It also helps you strrrreeeettttccccchhh out your liquid tempera.
Activity: Paint Stretcher
1. Mix 1 part of liquid starch to 2 parts liquid tempera
2. Stir well
This, too, will help stretch your liquid tempera.